How do I purchase/sell a vehicle with a lien?

Kansas no longer issues titles when there is a lien on a vehicle. The title is held electronically in Topeka until the lien is released. The vehicle seller should provide four items to the buyer:

1. A copy of the current vehicle registration.

2. A lien release from the seller's financial institution.

3. A completed and signed Electronic Title Sales Agreement (Form TR-39a)

4. A completed and signed Power of Attorney and Odometer Disclosure for Electronic Title (Form TR-40)

With these four items, the buyer of the vehicle can immediately obtain a temporary tag for the vehicle. When the buyer receives the title in the mail it will be in the previous owner's name. The buyer will return to the tag office and can use the Power of Attorney form to sign off on the title, completing the transfer of ownership.

Show All Answers

1. What are your office hours?
2. Where are you located?
3. How much will it cost to title and register my vehicle?
4. How can I pay for my plates?
5. Do my plates expire on the first or the last day of the month?
6. What papers will I need to title a newly-purchased vehicle?
7. How can I renew my plates if I didn't receive a renewal notice in the mail?
8. I'm moving to Kansas from another state; how do I register my vehicle?
9. Where can I get my vehicle inspected, and during what hours?
10. Do I have to register my vehicle if I am going to sell it?
11. I own businesses in several Kansas counties. Where do I register my vehicle?
12. Can I get an extension on my sixty-day permit?
13. My plate &/or decal are missing. What do I do?
14. How do I purchase a personalized plate?
15. What will happen if I have delinquent taxes?
16. Where can I find a Power of Attorney / Lienholder Consent / Bill of Sale, etc.?
17. Can I receive a refund if I move out of Kansas?
18. How can I receive a refund if I sell my car and what forms will I need?
19. I am in the military- do I pay taxes on my vehicle?
20. Where can I go to renew my disabled placard? Where do I mail it?
21. My doctor says I'm permanently disabled. Why do I have to re-certify for disabled privileges?
22. What is the Kansas State Parks Passport?
23. How do I purchase/sell a vehicle with a lien?