I'm moving to Kansas from another state; how do I register my vehicle?

If you have the title, you need to bring in the title, the vehicle inspection, the current registration from the previous state, and current proof of insurance. The person who is named on the title is the only person who can register the vehicle unless a completed Power of Attorney (TR-41) is brought in by the Power of Attorney designee with the appropriate documents. If two names appear on the title with "and/or" or "or" between the names, only one person has to come in. If two names are on the title with "and," or no words between them whatsoever, both persons must come in. All vehicles coming in to Kansas on a title issued by any other state than Kansas must undergo a VIN inspection by the Kansas Highway Patrol. The cost is $20.00 in cash, $25.00 for vehicles with a salvage branding on the title. If you do not have the physical title because your lienholder retains it until the lien has been satisfied, please call our office at (316)322-4200 with the vehicle, owner, and lien holder information. We will send a request for your title, then contact you with further instruction.

Show All Answers

1. What are your office hours?
2. Where are you located?
3. How much will it cost to title and register my vehicle?
4. How can I pay for my plates?
5. Do my plates expire on the first or the last day of the month?
6. What papers will I need to title a newly-purchased vehicle?
7. How can I renew my plates if I didn't receive a renewal notice in the mail?
8. I'm moving to Kansas from another state; how do I register my vehicle?
9. Where can I get my vehicle inspected, and during what hours?
10. Do I have to register my vehicle if I am going to sell it?
11. I own businesses in several Kansas counties. Where do I register my vehicle?
12. Can I get an extension on my sixty-day permit?
13. My plate &/or decal are missing. What do I do?
14. How do I purchase a personalized plate?
15. What will happen if I have delinquent taxes?
16. Where can I find a Power of Attorney / Lienholder Consent / Bill of Sale, etc.?
17. Can I receive a refund if I move out of Kansas?
18. How can I receive a refund if I sell my car and what forms will I need?
19. I am in the military- do I pay taxes on my vehicle?
20. Where can I go to renew my disabled placard? Where do I mail it?
21. My doctor says I'm permanently disabled. Why do I have to re-certify for disabled privileges?
22. What is the Kansas State Parks Passport?
23. How do I purchase/sell a vehicle with a lien?