How much will it cost to title and register my vehicle?

County Facility Fee: $5.00 per in-office transaction

Title Fees:

State: $10.00 per title


Autos less than 4500 lbs: $42.25

Autos over 4500 lbs: $52.25

12M Trucks: $52.25

Motorcycles: $28.25

Motorbikes: $23.25

2,000-8,000 lbs. $47.25

8,001-12,000 lbs. $57.25

12001 lbs. and over $67.25

a. If the empty weight of the trailer and the load combined is less than 2,000 lbs. registration is optional. Our Office recommends registering and titling trailers at initial purchase time for proof of ownership. If a farm trailer hauling the farmer's own product has a load of less than 6,000 lbs. registration is optional. For fees on trucks with gross weight of over 16,000 lbs. call the Butler County Motor Vehicle Office at 316-322-4200.

b. Property tax is paid at the time of registration/title application and is determined by the State of Kansas. The exceptions are heavy trucks, non-recreational trailers, and mopeds, whose taxes are determined by the County Appraiser's Office.

c. Reflectorized standard plate fee is $0.50

d. Sales tax will be collected on the Motor Vehicle Office if the vehicle is purchased from an individual, purchased out of state, or if the sales tax paid to a dealer was less than the sales tax rate where the vehicle will be registered.

e. The fee to add an additional owner on a title is $20.50 plus the difference in the property tax.

f. Lien holder fee is $1.50

g. Plate transfer fee: $1.50

Show All Answers

1. What are your office hours?
2. Where are you located?
3. How much will it cost to title and register my vehicle?
4. How can I pay for my plates?
5. Do my plates expire on the first or the last day of the month?
6. What papers will I need to title a newly-purchased vehicle?
7. How can I renew my plates if I didn't receive a renewal notice in the mail?
8. I'm moving to Kansas from another state; how do I register my vehicle?
9. Where can I get my vehicle inspected, and during what hours?
10. Do I have to register my vehicle if I am going to sell it?
11. I own businesses in several Kansas counties. Where do I register my vehicle?
12. Can I get an extension on my sixty-day permit?
13. My plate &/or decal are missing. What do I do?
14. How do I purchase a personalized plate?
15. What will happen if I have delinquent taxes?
16. Where can I find a Power of Attorney / Lienholder Consent / Bill of Sale, etc.?
17. Can I receive a refund if I move out of Kansas?
18. How can I receive a refund if I sell my car and what forms will I need?
19. I am in the military- do I pay taxes on my vehicle?
20. Where can I go to renew my disabled placard? Where do I mail it?
21. My doctor says I'm permanently disabled. Why do I have to re-certify for disabled privileges?
22. What is the Kansas State Parks Passport?
23. How do I purchase/sell a vehicle with a lien?