SPARK Business Grant Program
Butler County SPARKS Business Grant Program
The Butler County SPARKS Business Grant Program can be used to reimburse revenue lost on or after March 1, 2020 because of business interruption due to COVID-19 as a result of required closures, voluntary closures to promote social distancing, or decreased customer demand. These funds would be used to supplement revenue losses for small businesses in Butler County to assist them in meeting financial obligations.
Butler County received funding from the CARES Act and is to distribute $748,473 of those funds to small businesses through the Butler County SPARKS Small Business Grant Program. The funds will be distributed to the various areas based on population.
Grants of up to $10,000 will be made to businesses who employee fifty (50) employees or less prior to March 1, 2020. Applications will be accepted via the Chambers of Commerce in Andover, Augusta, El Dorado and Rose Hill and Butler County Community Development for business located in all other cities and unincorporated areas of the County. These entities will begin accepting grants on Monday October 5, 2020 and continue receiving them until the end of business on Friday, October 23, 2020.
Grant applications will begin being processed on October 26, 2020 and notification of award will be sent to the County by Wednesday, November 4, 2020. The grant applications will be processed with the help of the El Dorado, Augusta, Rose Hill and Andover Chambers of Commerce, and Butler County Community Development. These five agencies will comprise the award committees, who will vet each application for funding. Funds will be awarded by each entity up to the maximum allotted and then the funds will be distributed directly from Butler County. Should more funds be awarded by an individual agency than the total fund allocation allows, all applications for that allocation will be reduced by a similar percentage to assist with the spreading of funds. Any agency who has left over funds after the application and revenue period ends will spread those funds to other agencies if necessary.
All documentation needs to be submitted up to one (1) day after application submission. Any application with missing documentation will automatically be rejected from consideration.
Grant funds are open to businesses who fit the following criteria:
- For-profit businesses with 50 employees or less on March 1, 2020.
- Must be located within Butler County and operate out of a physical location in Butler County.
- Physical location includes “brick and mortar” structure and single-family homes.
Locations will be verified with the review of the GIS mapping website and property ownership information contained within.
- Business must have been in operation since January 1, 2019.
- Registered to do business in the State of Kansas.
- Demonstrate a loss of revenue due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Owner/Applicant is not currently in bankruptcy and has not filed bankruptcy in the last 12 months.
- Owner/Applicant is current with property taxes and all City fees, or has a payment plan in place with County and/or City as of April 30, 2020.
- Self-employed individuals, independent contractors, and sole proprietors serving the business community are also eligible.
- No conflict of interest with the Butler County and any Chamber of Commerce (i.e. the following persons cannot have ownership or financial interest in the assisted business, or be an employee of the assisted business: Butler County elected officials and their immediate family members or Butler County staff and any Chamber of Commerce staff).
- All funds for this program will be distributed to businesses by December 1, 2020.
- There cannot be a duplication of federal funds.
If selected for the Butler County SPARKS Business Grant Program, grants will be up to maximum of $10,000 with a minimum request of $1,000, based on demonstrated revenue loss due to the pandemic.
Required Documents to Include with Application
Business owners must complete their Butler County SPARKS Business Grant Program application by getting the following business documents in order:
- A completed W-9 form
- Statement of Revenues from March through August for 2019, as well as a statement of Revenues from March through August 2020, showing loss of revenue for the time period. This can be verified through a P&L statement.
- If you do not have a proper P&L statement, please use your 2019 and 2020 bank statements to fill out the TEMPLATE included on the application to submit in place of your P&L. If you use this template, please submit your 2019 and 2020 bank statements with the application.
Chamber of Commerce and County staff will review eligible applicants who have submitted all required documentation. If selected for the Butler County SPARKS Business Grant Program, grants will be up to a maximum of $10,000, based on proof of revenue loss during the period from March 1, 2020 through August 31, 2020.
Applications will be submitted to the respective Chamber or County. Business owners need to submit their application with the required documentation to be eligible. Applications will be reviewed in the order of arrival. If application is missing documentation, notification will be sent stating there is a 24-hour deadline to receive missing documentation. If not received within timeframe, application will be place on the end of application submissions.
Application will be initially reviewed by Chamber or County staff for their respective entity. Second review and final approval will be conducted by executive members of the Chamber Board of Directors and County Administration.
Funds will be awarded by each entity up to the maximum allotted and then the funds will be distributed directly from Butler County. Should more funds be awarded by an individual agency than the total fund allocation allows, all applications for that allocation will be reduced by a similar percentage to assist with the spreading of funds. Any agency who has left over funds after the application and revenue period ends will spread those funds to other agencies if necessary.