Renewing Your License Plate

General Information

Auto, truck, and motorcycle tags expire on the last day of each month, with the exception of heavy trucks (over 12,0000 lbs.) and non-recreational trailers, which expire Dec. 31 of each year with a grace period until the last day of February of the following year.

To renew a license plate for a truck with a 12,000 pound weight rating, a passenger vehicle, or a motorcycle, you will need the following items:
  • Renewal form from the Kansas Department of Revenue or plate number(s) or VIN(s) of the vehicle(s) being renewed
  • Current proof of insurance for all vehicles being registered
  • Drivers License
  • Payment

Renewal Form

The Kansas Department of Revenue mails out the renewal forms about 45 days before the vehicle’s registration expires. Upon receiving the renewal form from the Kansas Department of Revenue, please check the license plate number(s) & vehicle information on the form to ensure the information is correct. This will help prevent a vehicle being renewed incorrectly.

A vehicle’s registration comes due at the same time each year, regardless of the month in which it was purchased. The vehicle’s renewal month is determined by the first letter of the first listed owner’s last name or the first letter of the company's name that owns the vehicle. See the Tag Expiration Schedule for a full listing of expiration dates. The month in which the vehicle’s plate must be renewed is listed in the upper right hand corner of the vehicle’s current registration and on the decal on the license plate.

If you need a new or replacement renewal form you can reprint one using the link on the Motor Vehicle main page.

Online Renewal

Many vehicles can be renewed online using the state-generated PIN located on the renewal form issued by the Kansas Department of Revenue. If the renewal form does not include a PIN for a specific vehicle that vehicle will not be able to be renewed online. Vehicles with EMS, Firefighter, and National Guard plates and vehicles claiming personal property tax exemptions cannot be renewed online but can be renewed in the mail or in person with the correct documentation. Recreational and non-recreational trailers do not receive PINs.

To renew your vehicle’s plate online follow this link iKAN or go the Kansas Department of Revenue’s website under the Vehicle section to find the online renewal site. There is a credit card processing fee retained by the credit card processing company when renewing online.

Proof of Insurance

Kansas law requires proof of no-fault liability insurance on any vehicle except a motorized bicycle; recreational and non-recreational trailers can be covered by the current proof of insurance for a towing vehicle. The insurance company must be a Kansas Approved Insurance Company.

The following items are required to be present on the proof of insurance:
  • Name of insurer
  • Name of insured
  • Policy number
  • Effective date and expiration date to include current date
  • Vehicle description including VIN


Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, credit card, money order, and cashier's check. There is a convenience fee retained by the credit card processing company if using a debit or credit card. The person whose name is on the front of the card must be present with proof of identification in order to sign the receipt.