Registering Vehicles from Out of State

New Residents

Registration is required within 90 days of the date of establishing Kansas residency. Some examples that may make you a Kansas resident for purposes of registration are:
  • Own, lease, or rent a place of residence for more than 90 days
  • Have a place of residence and accept employment
  • Register to vote in Kansas
  • Enroll child(ren) in a school district, unless you are paying out-of-state tuition

What to Bring

Proof of Ownership

If you are a new resident to Kansas who is licensing a vehicle that you have brought in from another state a VIN inspection by the Kansas Highway Patrol will be required to register the vehicle in Kansas. All vehicles coming in to Kansas on a title issued by any other state than Kansas must undergo a VIN inspection by the Kansas Highway Patrol. The cost is $20.00 in cash, $25 for vehicles with a salvage branding on the title.

If you have the vehicle’s title in-hand you need to bring in the title, the VIN inspection, the current registration from the previous state and current proof of insurance for that vehicle. The person who is named on the title is the only person who can register the vehicle unless a completed Power of Attorney (TR-41) is brought in by the Power of Attorney designee with the appropriate documents. If two names appear on the title with “and/or” or “or” between the names, only one person has to come in. If two names are on the title with “and,” or no words between them whatsoever, both persons must come in.

If you do not have the physical title because your lienholder retains it until the lien has been satisfied ask your lienholder to fax a copy of the front and back of the title to either Butler County Motor Vehicle Office. Have the vehicle inspected by the Kansas Highway Patrol and get a MVE-1 certificate from them. You will then need to bring your MVE-1 certificate, the out-of-state registration, and your current insurance card for that vehicle. We will then do a one-time courtesy registration. A letter will be sent to the lienholder stating the vehicle is now registered in Kansas with the lienholder still listed with an active lien and a request that the original title be sent directly to the Butler County Motor Vehicle Department. The vehicle’s registration will not be able to be renewed until the original title is received from the lienholder.

If you do not have the physical title because the title is held electronically by the last titling state due to a lien having been applied to the vehicle's title you will need to provide proof that the title is held electronically by that state. The proof of electronic titling should be on "official letterhead" and have at least the following information on the same page: name of owner(s), lienholder's name, VIN, vehicle's year and make, state in which the title is electronically held, date the vehicle was titled, and an indication of some sort that the title is held electronically by that state. Some states' vehicle registrations include this information while sometimes the previous titling state needs to fax in verification of an electronically held title.

Kansas Highway Patrol ID Verification
A Kansas Highway Patrol ID Verification (MVE-1) is required of vehicles with out-of-state titles. The inspection verifies that the identification number on your vehicle matches the one on its title. This procedure is done to make sure the vehicle is not stolen.

The Kansas Highway Patrol requires all of the following items and information for salvage vehicles filing for rebuilt salvage status:
- Printed pictures of the salvage vehicle prior to repair of damage from the auction ONLY.
- Original receipts for all parts and material used to reconstruct the vehicle.
- If the vehicle is repaired with used parts the original receipt needs to have the VIN number of the parts vehicle.
- Original receipts from the individuals should be in the Bill of Sale format and have VIN number for the parts vehicle.

Fee $20.00 CASH or $25.00 for salvage

Vin Inspection Times and Locations
Wichita Main Tag Office
Clean Out-of-State Titles Only
2525 W Douglas
Monday - Friday 7:30AM - 3:15PM
Phone: 316-265-5644

Kechi Center
1900 E Tigua (HWY 254 & Rock Rd)
Monday - Friday 7:30 AM - 3:15 PM
Fax: 316-337-7233
Phone: 316-337-7418
No Salvage/Rebuilt Salvage, Bill of Sale or Affidavit inspections after 2:00 PM

Proof of Insurance

Kansas law requires proof of no-fault liability insurance on any vehicle except a motorized bicycle; recreational and non-recreational trailers can be covered by the current proof of insurance for a towing vehicle. The insurance company must be a Kansas Approved Insurance Company.

The following items are required to be present on the proof of insurance:
  • Name of insurer
  • Name of insured
  • Policy number
  • Effective date and expiration date to include current date
  • Vehicle description including VIN

Odometer Disclosure Statement

Per Federal Law the current mileage at the time of sale must be disclosed by the seller on the odometer section of the title assignment for vehicles less than 10 years of age.

Sales Tax Receipt

A sales tax receipt is required if you have purchased the vehicle from a Kansas motor vehicle dealer. If the vehicle was purchased in a taxing jurisdiction that has a lower sales tax rate than the jurisdiction where the vehicle will be registered, the difference in sales tax will be collected at the Butler County Motor Vehicle Office at the time of titling and registering the vehicle.

If you purchased the vehicle from an individual or out of state dealer you will need to bring in a completed Bill of Sale. You must pay sales tax for the rate in effect at the time of purchase.


Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, credit card, money order, and cashier's check. There is a convenience fee retained by the credit card processing company if using a debit or credit card & the person whose name is on the front of the card must be present with proof of identification in order to sign the receipt.