Child Care Licensing


The original licensing law which was passed in 1919 which placed the licensing authority with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE). KDHE administers the licensing law as a preventive program to assure that out-of-home care for children will not be exploitive, unsafe, or unhealthy. The main purpose of the licensing law is to protect the health, safety and welfare of children receiving care away from their parents. It is also a consumer protection law assuring parents that the care they are paying for meets minimum standards of good care. 
Licensing is required regardless of the motivation for providing care, and whether or not there is advertisement of or payment of services. The essential fact is that a child or children receive care away from their parents. A license is not required when child care is provided for not more than two children unrelated to the provider for 20 hours of a week or LESS.  Total time is determined by adding the hours each child is cared for weekly. 
KDHE contracts with the Butler County Health Department to provide local regulatory services for:
  • Child Care Centers
  • Group Day Care Homes
  • Head Start Centers
  • Licensed Day Care Homes
  • Preschools
  • School Age Programs

How to Open a Facility

For those interested in opening a child care facility the first step is to attend an orientation class. Home-based orientation classes are held on a monthly basis on the fourth Friday of the month from 9-11:30 a.m. at the Butler County Health Department. If these dates do not work with your schedule contact Amy at (316) 621-4523 for an appointment.  Pre-registration is not required and there is no fee for the class.
Orientation Dates for 2019:

January 25                             July 26
          February 22                           August 23
          March 22                               September 27
          April 26                                  October 25
          May 24                                  November 22
          June 21                                 December 27
Center-based, preschool-based, or school-age based orientation classes are held on an as needed basis. To verify orientation class schedule, schedule an appointment, or have any further questions please contact Amy at (316) 621-4523.

How to Report a Complaint

The Butler County Health Department is responsible for investigating complaints on child care facilities within Butler County. If you have a concern or complaint with a licensed facility or an unregulated facility (someone caring for children without a license) please call (316) 321-3400.

Seeking Child Care

If you are looking for child care please contact Child Care Aware at (877) 678-2548. To find out about a provider’s compliance history please go to the Kansas Department of Health and Environment.

Additional Resources