- Planning & Zoning
Planning and Zoning Division ResponsibilitiesThe Planning and Zoning Division is responsible for reviewing, analyzing, and presenting recommendations on development proposals to the Butler County Planning Commission and Board of Butler County Commissioners.
In the course of this mission, the Planning and Zoning Division consults with and advises citizens of the regulations and requirements of the Butler County Zoning and Subdivision Regulations (including floodplain regulations) and enforces the regulations.
This division is also responsible for the implementation of the county's Comprehensive Development Plan. In this function, it is charged with the oversight of maintenance and updating of the plan and the maintenance of updating any maps (including zoning maps) applicable to the plan.
Environmental Health Division ResponsibilitiesThe Environmental Health Division is responsible for implementing and enforcing the county's sanitary code to minimize the potential for environmental contamination that may affect the public health, welfare, and safety.
In the course of this mission, the division:
- Consults with and advises citizens of the regulations and requirements of the code
- Oversees a licensing program for contractors installing sewage systems
- Issues permits for on-site wastewater treatment systems
- Inspects such systems for compliance with the code
- Issuance of permits
- Inspection of systems for compliance
- Enforcement of nuisance regulations
- Activities associated with the Local Environmental Protection Program (LEPP) which is administered by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment
Building Safety & Construction Enforcement Division ResponsibilitiesThe Building Safety and Construction Enforcement Division is responsible for overseeing the construction, demolition, and remodeling of structures in Butler County.
Butler County has adopted codes applicable to all structures being constructed or remodeled, and this division is responsible for seeing that all construction is done in accordance with those codes. The steps in the process include:
- Plan, site plan, and land use review
- Construction permitting
- On-site project inspection