Food Resources for Butler County
Proper nutrition is one of the most important elements to remaining healthy and active in our older years. There are many benefits for seniors who eat a healthy diet. They include increased energy, a stronger immune system, faster recuperation from illness or injury, and even becoming more mentally alert.
Some seniors may find it difficult to shop for groceries and prepare meals by themselves. Seniors living in rural areas do not have the advantage of a Meals on Wheels program or a nearby senior center lunch program. Difficulty with walking, driving, and/or vision can make grocery shopping a challenge.
The Shopping for Seniors Program and the Freezer Meals Program are aimed at keeping seniors safer and healthier in their homes. They can help seniors maintain a healthy diet while remaining in the comfort of their own home.
Shopping for Seniors
This program is designed to assist seniors who cannot shop for themselves but are capable of giving their grocery order over the telephone to volunteers who then pass the list to volunteer shoppers Highlights of this program include:
- The program is volunteer based and volunteers are through the RSVP Program.
- This program is for those unable to shop and/or carry in groceries independently.
- There is no cost to participants (except for cost of their groceries).
- Participants must be 60 years of age or older and a Butler County resident.
- Grocery phone orders are taken weekly. Volunteers call every Wednesday.
- Volunteers carry the groceries into the home.
This program is designed to provide meals to senior citizens who have no access to a formal lunch program (Meals on Wheels, Good Neighbor Nutrition programs, senior center lunch programs). Highlights of this program include:
- Participants must be 60 years of age or older and a Butler County resident without access to any of the meal programs listed above.
- This program is for those unable to prepare and cook a meal.
- Meals are not diet specific but nutritious.
- Meals are delivered by volunteers through our RSVP Program.
- The cost for this service is $1.75 per meals (scholarships available to those who qualify).
- Meals are prepared by various locations.
Other Food Resources
View a list of all food and meal programs serving the Butler County area.