Click to Home
Go To Search
Registering Vehicles from Out of State
New Residents
Registration is required within 90 days of the date of establishing a Kansas residence. Some examples that may make you a Kansas resident for purposes of registration are:
  • Own, lease, or rent a place of residence for more than 90 days
  • Have a place of residence and accept employment
  • Register to vote
  • Enroll child(ren) in the school district, unless you are paying out-of-state tuition

What to Bring
Proof of Ownership

If you are a new resident who is licensing a vehicle that you have brought in from another state, a VIN inspection by the Kansas Highway Patrol may be required to register the vehicle in Kansas.  All vehicles coming in to Kansas on a title issued by any other state than Kansas must have a VIN inspection by the Kansas Highway Patrol. The cost is $20.00 in cash, $25 for vehicles with a salvage branding on the title.

If you have the vehicle’s title in-hand, you need to bring in the title, the vehicle inspection, the current registration from the previous state, and current proof of insurance. The person who is named on the title is the only person who can register the vehicle unless a completed Power of Attorney (TR-41) is brought in by the Power of Attorney designee with the appropriate documents. If two names appear on the title with “and/or” or “or” between the names, only one person has to come in. If two names are on the title with “and,” or no words between them whatsoever, both persons must come in.

If you do not have the physical title because the lienholder of that state retains it until the lien has been satisfied, ask your lienholder to fax a copy of the front and back of the title to either Butler County Motor Vehicle Office. You will then need to bring your out-of-state registration and your current  insurance card for that vehicle. We will then do a one-time courtesy registration. A letter will be sent to the lienholder stating the vehicle is now registered in Kansas with the lienholder still listed with an active lien and a request that the original title be sent directly to the Butler County Motor Vehicle Department. The vehicle’s registration will not be able to be renewed until the original title is received from the lienholder & the vehicle has been inspected by the Kansas Highway Patrol. 

Kansas Highway Patrol ID Verification
A Kansas Highway Patrol ID Verification (MVE-1) is required of vehicles with out-of-state titles. The inspection shows that the identification number on your vehicle matches the one on its title. This procedure is done to make sure the vehicle is not stolen.

The Kansas Highway Patrol requires the all of the following items and information for salvage vehicles filing for rebuilt salvage status:
- Printed pictures of the salvage vehicle prior to repair of damage from the auction ONLY.
- Original receipts for all parts and material used to reconstruct the vehicle.
- If the vehicle is repaired with used parts the original receipt needs to have the VIN number of the parts vehicle.
- Original receipts from the individuals should be in the Bill of Sale format and have VIN number for the parts vehicle.

Fee $20.00 CASH or $25.00 for salvage

Vin Inspection Times and Locations

Butler County Courthouse
205 W Central
El Dorado, KS 67042
Wednesday 9:00AM - 12:00PM

Western Office
(Next to Augusta Airport)
4800 W Beech Dr Suite 10
Augusta, KS 67010
Monday 8:30 AM - 12:00PM

Sedgwick County Offices

Wichita Main Tag Office
Clean Out-of-State Titles Only
2525 W Douglas
Monday - Friday 7:30AM - 3:15PM
Phone: 316-265-5644

Brittany Center
2120 N Woodlawn #320
No Inspections

2330 N Maize Rd Suite 1100
No Inspections

212 W Greenway Suite 14
No Inspections

Kechi Center
1900 E Tigua (HWY 254 & Rock Rd)
Monday - Friday 7:30 AM - 3:15 PM
Fax: 316-744-8008
Phone: 316-337-7418
No Salvage/Rebuilt Salvage, Bill of Sale or Affidavit inspections after 2:30 PM

Proof of Insurance
Everyone will be required to show proof of insurance on all motor vehicle transactions. State law requires that each vehicle carry an insurance card with the following elements as proof of insurance:

  • Name of insurer
  • Name of insured
  • Policy number
  • Effective date and expiration date to include current date
  • Vehicle description including VIN

Kansas law requires that you carry no-fault liability insurance on any vehicle except a motorized bicycle. The insurance company must be a Kansas Approved Insurance Company.

Odometer Disclosure Statement
Per Federal Law the current mileage at the time of sale must be disclosed by the seller on the odometer section of the title assignment for vehicles less than 10 years of age.

Sales Tax Receipt
A sales tax receipt is required if you have purchased the vehicle from a Kansas motor vehicle dealer. Effective July 1, 2002, if the vehicle is purchased in a taxing jurisdiction that has a lower sales tax rate than the jurisdiction where the person lives, the difference in sales tax will be collected at the Butler County Motor Vehicle Office at the time of titling and registering the vehicle.

If you purchased the vehicle from an individual or out of state dealer, you will need to bring in a bill of sale. You must pay sales tax at the current rate where you reside.


Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, credit card, money order, and cashier's check. There is a convenience fee retained by the credit card processing company if using a debit or credit card & the person whose name is on the front of the card must be present in order to sign the receipt